Thursday, November 19, 2015

My Thankful Day 18 & 19: Ryan and Allison Mackey

Yesterday I spent all day preparing things for Joshua's birthday… but today I'd like to continue with the amazing couple that mentored Josh & I in our relationship and spiritual lives: Ryan & Allison Mackey

Ryan Mackey, DJ, Father, Master, friend =)


Thank you for absolutely everything you've done in my life. It all began when I was part of Rose Among Thorns and you were the band 'manager' so to speak. I was a little intimidated by the awesome beard and low voice at first, but as I got to know you I found how kind-hearted you were. Through those years you also became a spiritual mentor, an awesome teacher, a 'boss' whom I apprenticed under to learn about growing in faith, good music, great coffee, and awesome beards, and a mentor through Joshua & I's relationship. 

Having you and Allison to look up to was probably one of the best things for our relationship. From the get go we feel like we had good communication and realistic expectations; we learned a lot of that from you two. 

Like I've said, you were very influential to us spiritually. One of my favorite classes was Spiritual Formation over interterm. I have grown in ways I never expected to in my faith throughout college, my eyes have been opened to so much richness in the church life that I didn't see before. I could talk to you about almost anything. Thank you for being there to listen and advise, and to sometimes say 'I don't know'. 

Allison Mackey, the lovely wife, the coordinator, the brains behind the operations ;) 

I'm especially thankful for you because you and Ryan are such a beautiful team. Obviously I wouldn't have had the opportunity to get to know you if not for Ryan, but the more you and I have talked, the more I have learned and grown. 

I appreciate your boldness and confidence. You aren't the most talkative person until you're passionate about something, and when you speak it's meaningful. Thank you for your words of affirmation and wisdom. 

I also have to say thank you for sharing your family with us. Those times we spent out at your mother's house, your aunts, and getting to know various family members and friends were also very influential. Your mother especially really spoke to our hearts. We always left her home feeling refreshed and loved. 

Thank you both for loving us and walking with us on this journey. I can't possibly express how much you mean to us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment