Thursday, November 19, 2015

Confession: wanting to love, but still have fear

This is simply my confession. I'm not asking for pity, or answers, or even reproof, just hear me out if you care to.

It's easy for me to say the things I believe should be true, but then I wrestle with the reality of the follow-through. Obviously most recent, the issue of Syrian Refugees. I believe they matter, I believe that danger or no danger, they need help and we should be extending the arms of Christ to them. I believe that not allowing them safe refuge is turning away those we should be loving. 

However, when I really begin to think about this question, "Would I be willing to house a family of refugees?" I stop and realize that it gets a little more messy. (I realize that isn't exactly the protocol that involves allowing them into the country, It's simply a question that came to mind and I had to think about.) I'd like to say 'absolutely'. But to be honest, there is fear, and there are concerns. As others have made comparisons, when it comes to helping the homeless or those in need, I've always believed in discernment. There have been times we have felt it right to give rides to people (yes even with Jeremiah in the car), and there was once the potential of having someone stay with us (hasn't happened yet though). Again, I've always believed in discernment for those things…

On the other hand, Christ did say that we were to expect persecution and trials. I don't believe that means to go looking for persecution or to walk directly into death for no reason, but to love in spite of persecution. To love despite the possibility of danger or death, because we trust in a God who casts out fear and we know that He is greater. 

I know a story of a woman who allowed a man to stay in her basement, and he ended up killing her. As terrifying as that is, I don't believe she was foolish. She was living the love of Christ and extending her arms in grace. I don't believe serving Christ means we won't be taken advantage of or that he will fully protect us from every harm, but it does mean that someone might actually SEE his love.


All of that said… I'm learning and growing too. I don't believe the answer is 'NO SYRIAN REFUGEES.' I don't know if the answer is 'Yes, I will house them,' or not. (I realize no one has asked me to do this). I'm simply sharing some of the thoughts in my head and wanting to say that I don't have it all together and I'm not quite as bold as I'd like to pretend I am. But my heart is simply beating with this belief that we have to extend our arms in love and believe that perfect love cast out fear… that's the armor I want to bear, and no I'm not really there yet. We will see where this journey leads me.

No comments:

Post a Comment