Friday, August 7, 2015

The way the world ought to be…?

I often think about the way the world ought to be. I have all these ideas about the way it should be, this utopia in my head. People should really invest in their community, share and love one another. People ought to have gardens and eat fresh fruits and veggies, make their own meals at home from scratch, and highly limit the processed foods in their diet. FDA should consult natural/organic eating researchers when coming up with their information. We should ban the use of high fructose corn syrup. Everyone should recycle and limit their trash output, their energy use, and do what they can to conserve in every area. People should get out and walk more. Everyone should love and appreciate nature. People ought to be simple, not needing the greatest or newest things. Everyone should love coffee and share a cup a day with someone... ok so some of it is definitely far-fetched. Now at first, I felt that many of these thoughts came from God-honoring desires to take care of what God has given me. I then concluded that this must be the world God wants as well! But the more I have thought about it, and having looked over my list... I realize that while some of these things are good and definitely don't go against the will of God, this is not necessarily the world God wants, it's simply the world I want.

In Isaiah God says,
8 “For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the Lord.
9 “As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.”

This is a humble reminder that I cannot fathom the way the world truly ought to be, the way God truly designed it. While there are definitely fundamental truths that we can know about God's desires for us and the world, there is a reason God made us each with unique gifts and differences. Amanda's world would end up crumbling to pieces, everyone cannot be like Amanda, nor should they! (I hardly live up to my own ideals!) Plus, I would cease to be challenged by those who think differently and would cease to grow. I may think I have some great ideas, but I know I am nowhere near perfect and therefore could hardly decide on the perfect order of the world.


 All this to say, Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done, here on earth as it is in heaven.  

No comments:

Post a Comment