This morning I was reading about God bringing Ezekiel to the valley of Dry Bones. The imagery is so powerful! I was soaking it all in, and wondered what other's had to say about the passage.
Then I came across this statement: "Again and again, God asks people not to do what they can, but what they can’t" (Peter Jeffery in Opening Up Ezekiel's Visions).
As Ezekiel walks among all these dry bones, these dead bodies, he is literally wading through hopelessness. There is absolutely nothing he can do amidst all of this death. Not only is there death, but these bones are completely dry and decayed. They've been dead far too long for even the slightest hope that a few could possibly be alive or just on the brink of death. And then God asks him, "Can these bones live?" I have no idea what went through Ezekiel's mind in this moment. If it were me, I think my first thought would have been, "What kind of question is that?" Ezekiel says "O Sovereign Lord, you alone know." I read this a few different ways, and maybe he meant them all at once:
1) O Sovereign Lord, you alone know… how hopeless this situation is.
2) O Sovereign Lord, you alone know… what do I know?
3) O Sovereign Lord, you alone know… is it possible?
4) O Sovereign Lord, you alone know… you alone are so powerful that it just might be possible…
And then God tells Ezekiel "Prophesy to these bones…" Here Ezekiel does what he is not able to do. Dry bones are raised and given the breath of new life. "Again and again, God asks people not to do what they can, but what they can’t."
"[Christ's] power is made perfect in [man's] weakness" (2 Corinthians 12:9) Dry Bones live, Mountains move, Rocks tremble, the impossible is possible… and we partake in these things, not because we are capable, but because God is powerful.
No comments:
Post a Comment